Question: high stomach pains

mikemariag - Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 am

i get sharp pains at the very top of my stomach. they don't seem to coorespond with being hungry or needing to go to the bathroom. sometimes they hurt bad and wake me up at night. what could this be.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 pm

Pain in the "upper part of the stomach" could be a number of things. With your comments that it does not seem to be related to your appetite or bowel habits and that it is waking you up at night, then chances are it's over production of acid produced by your stomach and possibly the reflux of it up into the lower part of your esophogus. Sometimes left untreated this problem may lead to chronic inflamation, erosions, ulcers and strictures. So why don't you try this for a few days. Try not to eat or drink anything at least two hours before going to bed. Elevate the head of your bed or sleep on a couple of pillows (gravity helps) Stay away from carbonated beverages, caffiene and alcohol. You might also try some medication like Prilosec OTC to help block the production of acid. See if any of this helps.
I see you take almost 2000 mg of aspirin a day...that's very harsh on your stomach, some people are really sensitive to it. Can you try tylenol instead? Are you overweight?
When you said "the upper part of your stomach" that's a pretty vague description, so can you be more specific. Is there any chance that it could be considered chest pain and not stomach pain? Does it hurt to breathe in? Do you ever feel burning in your throat or wake up with really bad breath and bad taste in your mouth? Do you burp alot? I hope this helped a little and please answer the questions I have posed.
God Bless

|