Question: irritable bowel syndrome and food

maxlovesalf - Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:08 am

I have symptoms of IBS (for the last 4 years) which include frequent diarrhea, cramping, pain, (definitely related to stress). I play college soccer and actually dread the 2 hour ride to some games. I usually try not to eat the night before or morning of and I know this isn't good. In two weeks I have to take the MCAT exam. I am wondering if you could suggest a meal I could eat the night before and if I should eat anything the morning of. The test is at 8. Right now I have been taking Align pro-biotic supplement and it seems to be helping.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:44 pm

I first would like to inquire if you have seen a gastroenterologist who has diagnosed you with IBS. Four years is a long time in the prime of your life to put up with those symptoms. Have you had a colonoscopy to be checked for crohns disease? Have you noticed alot of mucous or any blood with bowel movements? Are you over or underweight? When you have important functions to attend have you ever tried immodium for the diarrhea?
Taking the test is stressfull, though important so what about light protien like poultry and a starch for evening and some yogurt and peanut butter on toast for breakfast ( you have to eat before a long exam)
No coffee !!!!! :)
Please follow up and good luck on your test
 maxlovesalf - Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:00 am

I actually saw a gastroenterologist when my symptoms first started but no tests were really done at that time. My dad is a urologist and he recently ordered an upper GI which was normal. He wants me to have a colonoscopy but I haven't done that yet. I sometimes have some mucous but no blood. And as far as the Imodium, I eat it like candy when I have to have a test, a game a date....My mom is actually the one who thinks I have IBS. She is also the one who recently started me on Align which is a probiotic supplement and it actually seems to be helping alot. About six months before my symptoms actually started (in high school) I had been on a fishing trip in Canada. We were pretty far out and my parents thought maybe I had some type of parasites. I had it tested and was negative. Thanks for your help.

|