News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sharp abdominal pain around belly button. What could it be?

fdt77 - Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:40 am

I have a sharp pain around the area of my belly button. It hurts when I stretch out my abdomen. I've also been having gas more than usual and my stomach has been making growling noises more than usual. I had my appendix taken out in November of last year, and I had an incision right under my belly button. I just don't think it would start hurting again after almost 2 months. The pain kinda resembles the pain I had before I had my appendix taken out, but I don't have an appendix anymore so it cant be appendicitis. Is it just a phantom pain? Or can it still be pain from the surgery. Or could there be an underlying problem that caused the appendicitis. The pain feels a little bit like a side stitch. What could it be?
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 pm

November of last year is less than two months ago. Sometimes after surgery adhesions can form (certain tissues grow together that aren't usually attached) If you find that this pain is truly positional and only bothers you when you move in certain ways then this may be the cause. Are your bowel movements regular? Is your appetite the same? If the problem persists and begins to interfere with your usual daily activities then see your doctor. He or she will examine you and then there are tests they can do to rule out anything serious. You mentioned you've been more gassy than usual....when there is the distention of gas in your gi system things can pull or feel pressured, especially in the prescence of adhesions.
I hope this helps some...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here