News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: roto disease i think

danell_marie - Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:03 pm

i am not sure if this is a correct medical condition but my children have a mushy bowl movement and it has a bad odor unlike any other bowl movements like other people is there such a disease as roto disease or something like that?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:30 pm

User avatar Hi danell_marie,
There is a virus called Rotavirus but this generally causes fever, vomitng for a day or two followed by watery diarrhea for approx 7-10 days. What color are their bowel movements, brown, tarry, gray etc.? Have they been on any antibiotics recently, or exposed to anyone with an infection? Do they have any other symptoms? Does any other family members have this problem?
An evaluation of the stool samles should be done by your healthcare provider to evaluate for any parasitic infections or underlying illnesses.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 ridincrzy - Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:56 am

my cousins baby has been diagnosed with the rotavirus. he has been sick for the past 3 days and has been throwing up every medication that has been given to him. His bowel movements are yellowish but liquid almost like water. he refuses to eat anything. No one knows what to do about this situation. --Heather
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:08 pm

User avatar Hi ridincrzy,
In some infants or children this virus may cause such severe symptoms that it causes dehydration and may require hospitalization. I would suggest that you call the doctor.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here