Question: rectal abscess

Paula - Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:10 am

I am developing a rectal abscess. It is the 3rd one in the last 10 months, and let me tell you, the pain is almost unbearable!! It hurts to sit, lay down, even walk!! Since it is the weekend, I cannot reach my doctor right now. Is there any thing I can take or do to help relieve it? My doctor didn't seem to know why I got this, but says that, since I have type 2 Diabetes, will possibly have to suffer with them more often than others. Is there any "preventable" treatment for this?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:01 am

User avatar Hi Paula,
Warm sitz baths may assist with localization of the abscess to permit drainage and alleviate some of the pain. Special attention to hygiene after going to the bathroom (Washing off rather than just wiping) may help with prevention. My question for you is have anal fissures or disorders of the bowel been ruled out? In my opinion, having diabetes alone would not make one more susceptible to an abcess.

|