News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: rectal abscess

Paula - Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:10 am

I am developing a rectal abscess. It is the 3rd one in the last 10 months, and let me tell you, the pain is almost unbearable!! It hurts to sit, lay down, even walk!! Since it is the weekend, I cannot reach my doctor right now. Is there any thing I can take or do to help relieve it? My doctor didn't seem to know why I got this, but says that, since I have type 2 Diabetes, will possibly have to suffer with them more often than others. Is there any "preventable" treatment for this?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:01 am

User avatar Hi Paula,
Warm sitz baths may assist with localization of the abscess to permit drainage and alleviate some of the pain. Special attention to hygiene after going to the bathroom (Washing off rather than just wiping) may help with prevention. My question for you is have anal fissures or disorders of the bowel been ruled out? In my opinion, having diabetes alone would not make one more susceptible to an abcess.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here