News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Yellow particles in loose stool x4days

adv0575 - Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm

For the last four days I have been having stools containing yellow particles similiar in nature to a piece of corn. I have not eaten corn in years so it is not due to ingested food. Prior to this I was in the er c/o abd pain. Ct showed free fluid in pelvis and constipation. (odd for my activity level and diet) Do you have any insight to what this might be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:38 pm

User avatar Hello --

While this is a rather obscure sign you describe, at least in my experience, I've learned that sometimes hypoacidity, in your case probably acute and due to some sort of passing viral infection, can cause small amounts of connective tissue to turn up in the stool as small yellowish particles. If the problem has resolved by now, then we can probably safely assume this was the case. If it's continued or if other symptoms have developed as well, then we'll need to refer this question to the gastroenterology team for further consideration. Hopefully it's gone by now ,but please follow up with us and update us. Good luck to you.
 Joanna H, RN-BC - Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 pm

On first impression what you are describing can be something as simple as "fat" which is precipitated in the colon into clumps. You state you had gone to the ER? Did the ER perform a ultr-sound of your gall bladder? Also, did the ER, by chance do a "stool culture" including "fungus." I think it may be a good idea that if this persists you see a "gastroenterologist" who can certainly detemine what is going on in your GI tract. Also, if you have been eating a lot of fats in your diet, those fats can stick together causing a lumping of fat particles in the stool. Without a very good examination of your GI tract including your liver and gall bladder anything I could propose would simply be a "guess." Again, I would have this checked out further. People often "discount" their own gut feelings that "something is wrong." If you suspect, or feel there is some problem, you know your body and its'' workings best and you are probably correct. Check it out further as worry and the unknown can be your worst enemy; anxiety can make you very ill.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here