News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Upper R quadrant pain, increased globulin level

Popsy - Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:06 pm

For the past 6 months, I have been having right upper quadrant pain intermittently - it does not seem to be related to diet. During my annual physical in October, my globulin was 4.3, A/G ratio was 0.9, RBC was 4.44, neutrophils were 72.9 and MCV was 100.3. We did the blood tests again this week and everything has normalized except the globulin was 4.2. About a month ago I had severe upper right pain along with clay colored stools. My doctor seems unconcerned about this, but he is concerned about the globulin level and said he thinks it is multiple myeloma. I'm not in the medical profession, but couldn't the globulin be elevated due to liver or gallbladder issues? Also, I have had endometriosis for 20 years. Could endometrial tissue be on the liver area, causing problems? We are waiting for results on my protein electophoresis tests. Can you give me any reassurance this isn't MM?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 pm

User avatar Hello -

First, your globulin level was, at last check, right at the top of the normal range. Previously it had been .1 above that. This isn't an especially disturbing finding. Whatever had caused the earlier readings outside WNL seems to have resolved for now.

Second, while elevated globulin is often seen in instances of MM, it is also seen with various liver diseases, and this is the area where your symptoms seem to point, to I have no idea why your doctor would have a concern about MM, when the symptoms point elsewhere and the labs don't exclude that possibility. Strange.

It should be pointed out, for the record, that MM is not curable, but is now manageable, so that in many patients lifespan isn't shortened.

While endometriosis cells can, rarely, attach themselves to the liver, it sounds a lot more like you may have either a gallbladder problem or perhaps some form of hepatitis. This of course should be explored and ruled out (or in).

I wouldn't be overly concerned by the MM comment right now. It's fine to rule it out, but it doesn't seem to jump out as a likely cause of what's going on right now.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.
 Popsy - Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Thank you for your reply. The electrophoresis came back as polyclonal gammopathy. My doctor stated that this is "reflective of some ongoing benign process in the body such as liver disease" He then went on the say no further testing was necessary. Well in my opinion, would it not make sense to find out if there is liver disease, especially since I've been having upper right quadrant pain? I obviously am not happy with this doctor and am trying to find a internest or gastroenteroligist to schedule an appointment with. The pain has continued intermittently, but I have not had any further pale stools.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here