News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Timed release medication 2.5 yrs post-op gastric bypass

kaycee92157 - Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 am

Good morning,

A few years ago I had been taking Wellbutrin XL to treat depression. In august 2006 I had gastric bypass and thankfully it's been quite successful. Immediate post op medications changed dramatically and a timed release medication was not allowed as all my medications at the time had to be crushed to be consumed.
I have not taken any antidepressants since surgery but now find that I need to ressurect their use. The nurse practitioner I see at a psychiatrists office states that even 2.5 years post op she believes that timed release medications aren't a viable option. Instead I would need to take the old form of wellbutrin twice a day. This could create an issue of me neglecting to take my afternoon dose simply due to the busy-ness of my day.
As a brief history before asking the question..surgery was trouble-free as has been the past 2.5 years. I have the typical vitamin deficiencies which I supplement per my primary care physician. I have regular physicals and follow-up appts as necessary. I do not see the doc who performed the surgery as he is over an hour away and since there have been no complications or issues which my PCP hasn't been able to address I haven't seen the need to make the long trip.
And so the question is: May I now take (or will there ever be a time when I will be able to take) timed release medication? If that's not quite a black & white question; what's the standard to determine if I can?
Thank you in advance.
Karen L.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Part of the answer would lie on exactly which kind of gastric bypass you had. I believe you should just call the surgeon who did it and leave a message asking if you can now take the time release med, that way you don't have to drive an hour away, I'm sure you'll get an answer. In the mean time why don't you just set an alarm on your cell phone or watch so you can remember to take the med or see if you can just take one larger dose once a day.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:44 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course you should always listen to your doctor's advice but this is still a relatively new procedure and long-term information is a bit limited. As they continue to evaluate the experiences of thousands of people who have this procedure every year, new information will become available and the safety of medications following healing may change in time.

There is a good website that supports people who have had gastric bypass surgery. They have forums where patients share their experiences. http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com. This might be another source of information.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here