Question: is this True?! Acid is not needed for digestion?

Broomstick - Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:08 am

i JUST came back from seeing a Stomach specialist.
he wants me to take prilosec twice a day to get rid of all acid.

i asked "if i have no acid how am i going to digest food?"
and he told me that it's a misconception you don't actually need acid to digest food! it's mostly there to help protect against diseases.

is it true?
if so, why do they not teach this stuff as common sense.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:13 pm

If your doctor wants you to take prilosec twice a day then your reflux and acid production must be pretty excessive. All acids produced in the GI tract help to break down food into more easily digested nutrient particles for your body. The prilosec is not going to completely wipe out all acid production and certain enzymes which aid absorbtion are not going to be affected by the medicine. Hopefully it is just going to slow down the production so you don't get any more damage from it.
I hope this helps.
peace,

|