News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: BATHROOM PROBLEMS

GABRIELLA04 - Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:18 pm

HI I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD ANSWER A QUESTION FOR ME. FOR A VERY LONG TIME I HAVE HAD WHAT I CALL VERY PAINFUL DIARRHEA. I GET REALLY BAD STOMACH CRAMPS AND THEN I HAVE TO GO. THIS HAPPENS QUITE A FEW TIMES A DAY AND I VERY RARELY HAVE A SOLID STOOL. ALMOST ALL OF MY BOWEL MOVEMENTS ARE DIARRHEA. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR LONGER THAN I CAN REMEMBER....MONTHS MAYBE EVEN OVER A YEAR. IT CAN BE VERY PAINFUL AND THE SMELL IS AWFUL WHICH CAN BE TOTALLY EMBARASSING WHEN YOU ARE OUT IN PUBLIC. BUT IT IS SO PAINFUL TO NOT GO THAT YOU HAVE TO. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AND I DON'T HAVE ANY INSURANCE SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:15 am

User avatar Hello,
I would consider a stool analysis in your case. Several things must be excluded included malabsorption and steatorrhea, pus and bacterial infection, inflammatory and many other conditions. Several drugs can lead to chronic diarrhea:
I realize that you do not take any of the above. Were you ever asked to do a stool analysis?
 GABRIELLA04 - Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:39 am

No they never asked me to take a stool analsis. Is it really expensive because I don't have any insurance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:01 pm

User avatar Can't help you there. You will have to ask around. It shouldn't be too expensive though.
 selfmom2 - Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:10 am

even though i am not a doctor at all, but i can tell you that my daughter has colitis. sounds similar to your situation. there are different types of this problem, like chrones, colitis, and ibs( irritable bowel syndrome) what my daughter had to do to find out what the problem was, she had to do blood work, and have an colonoscopy. don't have any idea of how much these are. she takes medicine daily now and has no problems as long as she takes her meds. you can do research on these at http://www.ccfa.org/ of course this may not even be your problem, theres no way to know for sure except to get test done.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here