Question: Blood clot following stool movement.

shawnycan - Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 am

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend.
He is 26 yrs old and overall healthy with no serious past health problems and is not on any medications. He no longer smokes (quit again 7 months ago) and is not a heavy drinker but usually enjoys one drink every other night (not sure if either could be a factor doesn't hurt to let you know).

He is concerned because after a bowl movement tonight there appeared to be what looked like a blood clot that was very bright in color.
We had hot dogs at lunch and he said he was gassy all after noon, felt bloated and had stomach pain. He said his stool was not abnormally large or hard, just long. He has had large painful movement in the past that have caused minimal bleeding that was noticed when he wiped but never posed a problem or were accompanied by the discomfort he felt today.
He is concerned because there was a large blood clot which has never occurred before and is worried because he has had friend his age get colon cancer and knows bleeding may be a sign.
Can you please tell me what the most likely cause is for this.
He does plan on going to the doctor but is unsure how soon he will be able to make an appointment so some advise and input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you help.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:00 pm

This problem may very well be just hemorrhoidal bleeding, especially when you say he has had streaks in the past after hard bowel movements. However he does need to be examined by a doctor for the possiblility of a growth or polyp that could be present and bleeds from just the motion of the stool passing.
I am glad that you said he plans to be examined, don't put it off
Peace,

|