News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood clot following stool movement.

shawnycan - Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:52 am

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend.
He is 26 yrs old and overall healthy with no serious past health problems and is not on any medications. He no longer smokes (quit again 7 months ago) and is not a heavy drinker but usually enjoys one drink every other night (not sure if either could be a factor doesn't hurt to let you know).

He is concerned because after a bowl movement tonight there appeared to be what looked like a blood clot that was very bright in color.
We had hot dogs at lunch and he said he was gassy all after noon, felt bloated and had stomach pain. He said his stool was not abnormally large or hard, just long. He has had large painful movement in the past that have caused minimal bleeding that was noticed when he wiped but never posed a problem or were accompanied by the discomfort he felt today.
He is concerned because there was a large blood clot which has never occurred before and is worried because he has had friend his age get colon cancer and knows bleeding may be a sign.
Can you please tell me what the most likely cause is for this.
He does plan on going to the doctor but is unsure how soon he will be able to make an appointment so some advise and input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you help.
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:00 pm

This problem may very well be just hemorrhoidal bleeding, especially when you say he has had streaks in the past after hard bowel movements. However he does need to be examined by a doctor for the possiblility of a growth or polyp that could be present and bleeds from just the motion of the stool passing.
I am glad that you said he plans to be examined, don't put it off
Peace,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here