News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Hook worms

Lauraxyz - Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:42 am

I received a new ferret for christmas so today we took him to the vet to get checked out and found that he has hook worms. So, now I'm worried about getting them.

I've been exposed to his fecal matter from cleaning the ferret's room, litter boxes and cage. Since he isn't litter trained he has required a couple baths to get the poop off his fur. I don't use gloves when bathing the ferrets but I am avid about washing my hands after dealing with them. However, I do sit and play with them in their room so I'm concerned that sitting on the floor in shorts and not washing my legs or arms afterward might have given any worms on the floor or on their fur a chance to infect me.

Is this silly or should I be concerned and what would be the symptoms of hook worms in humans?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:52 am

User avatar Hi Lauraxyz,
People can become infected with diseases/illnesses from their pets. Some of the signs and symptoms of hookworm are: Diarrhea, vague abdominal pain, intestinal cramps, and nausea. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Lauraxyz - Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:07 pm

Rntdj,

Thank you for the reply.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here