News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: ruptured appendix

freddy - Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 am

My wife visited the ER with abdominal pain and was diagnosed with a bladder infection. Two days later, the pain continued to worsen and had become severe. She returned to the ER and was diagnosed with a ruptured appendix. However, she was made to wait 8 1/2 hours before being taken to surgery. The appendix was said it have been severely ruptured and there was substantial infection. Should she have been taken immediately to surgery or is an 8 1/2 hour wait after diagnosis acceptable? Does the trip to the ER for abdominal pain 2 days earlier enter into the decision?
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Sounds like your wife has been through quite alot. I must say that of course it's a possibility that the appendicitis was overlooked on the initial er visit. Perhaps with her symptoms and the clinical evidence ( urinalysis, labs_)inidcative of a UTI that it seemed that was all that was going on. Not everybody has all the common signs of appendicitis. Or it could be that she coincidentally developed appendicitis at the same time as her UTI. That's one of the reasons it's so important to always heed the advice of the staff when they say....If it's no better or get's worse come back. And you did....Having to wait 8 hours for surgery may have been important to ensure that it was safe for your wife to have anesthesia or they may have been other circumstances, but I assure you that they took it out as soon as possible and once an appendix has ruptured they clean the abdominal cavity out and treat the patient with antibiotics. I'm very glad that everything turned out okay. People don't realize that ....people used to die of appendicitis quite commonly, thankfully today things are different.
peace,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here