Question: ruptured appendix

freddy - Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 am

My wife visited the ER with abdominal pain and was diagnosed with a bladder infection. Two days later, the pain continued to worsen and had become severe. She returned to the ER and was diagnosed with a ruptured appendix. However, she was made to wait 8 1/2 hours before being taken to surgery. The appendix was said it have been severely ruptured and there was substantial infection. Should she have been taken immediately to surgery or is an 8 1/2 hour wait after diagnosis acceptable? Does the trip to the ER for abdominal pain 2 days earlier enter into the decision?
 S.WILLIAMS,RN - Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Sounds like your wife has been through quite alot. I must say that of course it's a possibility that the appendicitis was overlooked on the initial er visit. Perhaps with her symptoms and the clinical evidence ( urinalysis, labs_)inidcative of a UTI that it seemed that was all that was going on. Not everybody has all the common signs of appendicitis. Or it could be that she coincidentally developed appendicitis at the same time as her UTI. That's one of the reasons it's so important to always heed the advice of the staff when they say....If it's no better or get's worse come back. And you did....Having to wait 8 hours for surgery may have been important to ensure that it was safe for your wife to have anesthesia or they may have been other circumstances, but I assure you that they took it out as soon as possible and once an appendix has ruptured they clean the abdominal cavity out and treat the patient with antibiotics. I'm very glad that everything turned out okay. People don't realize that ....people used to die of appendicitis quite commonly, thankfully today things are different.
peace,

|