Question: Sudden hairloss + urination problems + tiredness

user123 - Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Hello! English is my third language so you have to bare with me:) My problems started in January -08 when my new hair stylist was amazed off how thin my hair was(usually i hear complaints off how thick my hair is..) I ignored her comment. Two months later my hair started to fall off at a rapid speed! After one month only half of my hair was remaining. At the same time I started to notice urination problems. The pressure was gone and it kept leaking after i stopped peeing(kept dripping). As summer started to get closer i kept getting more and more tired. At this time I had visited a lot of doctors and taken a bunch of blood tests. Hormons and inflammation tests were ok except of slight hypothyroidism and low FSH. I have now taken inflammation tests quite regurlary since a year back and they've all came back ok! The most resent discoveries I've noticed is that the hair on my arms has almost completly dissapeared. I have to shave my beard realy rarely and my eyebrowns have started to get in the same condition as my hair. Otherwise my armpitts legs and so oon are still hairy.. I've studied medicine for a while so I've taken care of the basic do-it-yourself things such as nutrition and so oon.. I'm now so tired that i cant work or go to school.

Due to my test results I'm leaning towards mailabsorption...
Things I've allso noticed (minor issues tho): cracking nails, Maybe a bit swallen face, softer poo than normaly, wounds heal slower and my stomach is hurting quite a lot+(pain on both sides below or under ribcage).

Thanks for your help! -John H.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm

User avatar Hi there --

First, congratulations on your excellent English! No problems with that at all.

Your symptoms would first strongly suggest hypothyroidism as a rule. However, the initial impression was "slight" hypothyroid and since then not much to support this theory. Malabsorbtion would certainly be a next possibility and should be ruled out to help clear the field. This can be checked by simple blood testing and if this is the underlying problem it is not too difficult to manage, if not actually cure. Well worth a look, I would think. If it turns out to be the problem you've probably looked into this and know elimination of gluten in the diet is usually the quick route to feeling a lot better (although there are some more obscure possible causes of malabsorbtion, gluten intolerance is generally the most common).

I hope this helps. Please follow up with us if you learn anything new, and keep us updated. Good luck to you.

|