News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Drank Contaminated Water - Now Vomit/Diarrhea

Sharpie - Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 pm

I live in the North Dakota area which is currently being flooded. I was drinking water out of our sink when I noticed it was foul tasting (after I had a full glass). I assumed I had an unclean glass and thought nothing of it. Then, the sink started to smell horrible as well. Apparently, it turns out our water supply was contaminated by the river/sewer (I'm not sure which). A few hours later I became extremely sick. My stomach felt like every muscle was tightening and it was very painful. Then, it started burning and I became nauseated. Eventually, I threw up and it was the worst peculiar tasting vomit ever. MUCH worse than any other time in my life I had been sick. Now, I'm not nauseated anymore, but I have frequent diarrhea. Is this all caused by the water? Is there something I should be doing to treat myself? Or will this all go away and I shouldn't worry.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:35 pm

User avatar Hello --

So long as this doesn't progress to more serious symptoms (especially fever), and doesn't get worse (it seems to be improving), and doesn't last more than 72 hours, it's probably ok to just wait it out. If it should get worse or lasts longer than 72 hours, definitely be seen by a medical professional. Your GI tract will generally throw out stuff it finds offensive, even on aesthetic grounds, but given the situation where you are, it's possible you could have picked up something infectious. You should know soon enough. Again, so long as it doesn't last long and improves with no new symptoms, it's probably just purgative in nature. If you start to feel ill, by all means see an MD. Sounds like it should be fine, though.

Good luck to you! Follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here