Question: slight stomach ache

pink86 - Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:58 am

hey
I'm suffering from slight stomach aches at the moment, they don't happen all the time, but over the last few days i have started to get it straight after i have eaten, and when i go to bed. Sometimes they are like hunger pains, other times just a dull ache.

About two months ago for a few days i had a burning sensation at the top of my stomch and the bottom of my throat. This went away.

About a month ago now i mixed my drinks and drank a little to much and started vomiting, but i noticed that it had the appearance of coffee grounds,which i looked up and found out would have been blood - i also had a small amount of blood at the back of my throat. For a few days after that i had a stomch ache and also very sore muscles around my stomch. After this i was fine.

Recently though i've noticed that my appetite has decreased, and i feel hungry, but don't feel like eating, or have any cravings for foods, like i used to. I know that i think i have lost weight unintentionally, and when a friend i havn't seen for a while came round she said i was looking really thin. My BMI is about 19.2. I havn't lost a lot of weight, ive always been slim. Im quite a tired person and run out of energy easily, and im prone to feeling faint when i stand up or don't eat enough.

Basically i strogly dislike going to the doctors, and would probably only go if i was near to death. So i wandered if anyone could give me any advice on what the problem could be from having a normla appetite to rarely feeling like eating, and also feeling slightly sick after eating or drinking.

any advice would be great, thanks. :?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:45 pm

User avatar Dear pink86,
I definitely recommend an evaluation by a physician. A number of GI disorders can cause the symptoms you have described. These disorders include Gastritis, Gastroesophageal reflux, Gastric or Duodenal ulcers in addition to other conditions associated with GI disorders.
Although Gastritis is more likely to be the cause in your case, An upper endoscopy would be of choice to evaluate these symptoms, otherwise a barium swallow with upper GI series would be considered.
Gastritis means inflammation of the lining of your stomach which in most of the cases results from infection with the Helicobacter Pylori, the organism that is also involved in the pathogenesis of stomach ulcers. It is usually manifested in burning pain in the upper abdomen or retrosternal that is occasionally associated with bloating, belching, nausea or vomiting and loss of appetite which lead to weight loss.
Occasionally, gastritis results in stomach bleeding, which cause bloody vomitus or black, tarry stools especially after repeated vomiting, excess use of Analgesics or excess Alcohol intake.
These Disorders should be discussed with your physician in addition to a gastroenterology evaluation. Follow up with your physician is mandatory.
Dr. Safaa

|