Question: difficulty swallowing

R.i.p.p.e.r. - Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:14 pm

i'm suffering from a condition where every time i swallow the food seems to get trapped at the same place at the bottom of my throat, before slowly moving down to the stomach. the place where the food stops is extremely sore (although i only really feel it when passing something down my throat), and this has made swallowing, eating and drinking extremely hard. at the place of the stoppage my spine seems to be also extremely sore, and this is a 24/7 discomfort. my throat has also become sore and all three places of pain seem to be linked. the spot of pain in my throat/spine seems very small, about the size of a ringpull from a can of coke, and yet this small sore area is affecting my movement - slightly- and my eating and drinking habits. i can barely stand the discomfort for more than 20, 30 mouthfuls before i discomfort gets to much. sleeping is also affected, although my back seems to feel less painful in the morning. anyone know whats going on? or how to fix this irritating problem? thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:41 am

User avatar Hi R.i.p.p.e.r.,
Have you had any sort of swallowing studies or testing done? Different problems can cause these symptoms but some particular things come to mind. Narrowing of the esophagous or esophogitis can cause these symptoms as well as a hiatal hernia and GERD. Do you have any problems with heartburn, weight loss, weakness, regurgitation etc.? My suggestion would be a swallowing study to rule out any abnormalities.

|