News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Can Giardia be detected with a colonoscopy?

i12tup - Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:06 pm

My Vet. found Giardia in our dog. He said I should tell my doctor. My wife is having a colonoscopy tomorrow. Will it find Giardia if it is present?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:54 pm

User avatar Hello--

While giardia may show up during the course of colonoscopy, it probably would not, at least unless it had had time to establish a colony (which would be in the small intestine), so the chances of finding it, even if present, is pretty slim this early on. It's worth mentioning to the doctor performing the scope anyway, just in case, and at least this way a sample could be collected at conclusion of the procedure.

The best way to deal with any possible cross-contamination is to treat the problem symptomatically if symptoms of giardiasis should show up in your wife. This seems fairly unlikely but isn't out of the question, so just be sure she recalls this could be the case in the event she develops lower GI symptoms.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here