News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Liver damage from past Tylenol Overdoses.

abcdef - Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:16 am

I was wondering if it is possible that i have liver damage from overdosing on tylenol twice? The first time i did it was about 5 years ago and i was treated within 8 hours, i also mixed it with antidepressant. I went to the hospital and was treated . The second time i did it was 3 years ago i was also treated within 8 hours and i mixed it with Graval. Ive had liver ultrasounds that came out fine. I read somewhere that if you are treated within a certain time range and the treatment works you run no risk of liver damage of disease, i was wondering if this would be true in my case. Also, i am a regular drinken and x drug user. i often have upper right quandrant pain , i notice it especially when i take advil. i no longer take any tylenol. Should i stop taking all potential liver damaging substances ?( alchohol, advil?) Or is it okay if i take it in moderation..?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:46 pm

User avatar Hello --

While it is unlikely you sustained liver damage, we don't know how much Tylenol you ingested either time, which would be a factor in trying to determine whether or not you might have sustained any damage. Also, while outlook with treatment inside of eight hours is excellent, it's not a guarantee you won't sustain damage. The good news is that it appears you did not, and that the liver is the only organ which is capable of self-regeneration (which should by no means suggest it is fair game for abuse, since if damaged too severely it cannot regenerate and then will fail like any other organ).

The best way to know for certain whether or not your liver is either damaged or sick (and the pains you're having could be due to a lot of non-liver-reated causes) would be to have blood drawn for liver function tests. If they come out reasonably normal youre probably okay. This is the only way to know for certain, and if you do have liver disease you're going to need to know about it anyway, since it's the only way to formulate a treatment plan.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here