Question: intermittent lower ab pain

knila3 - Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:31 pm

I was hospitalized 4 and a half days, in November, 2004, because of mid to lower right abdominal pain. Eating, coughing and laughing would increase my pain I did not have a fever, nausea nor diarrhea. No bleeding was found in my stools. I was not constipated, nor was their any obstructions. Doctors ruled out vaginal and uterine problems.I had a CT Scan, with barium and iodine, done on the lower abdomen. Doctors saw some inflammation near and around the ileum region. They did not know if the inflammation was due to appendicitis, Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis or Meckel’s diverticulum. An upper GI was done with more barium; results showed the same thing. Finally an ultrasound, with barium still in my system, was done to check my kidneys spleen, gallbladder, pancreas and liver. The organs were fine, however, a finger like abnormity was found in the smaller intestines. Doctor’s recommended surgery to diagnose appendicitis or Meckel’s diverticulum. I denied surgery and opted for antibiotics against the surgeons’ best interest. The truth is I was and will forever be afraid of surgery, and since doctor’s really wasn’t sure about the root of my pain, I was really uncomfortable. After taking 500mg Metronidazole and 250mg of cephalexin, for a week, the pain went away. Unfortunately, for about a month now, I currently experience mild pain in the navel and lower right region for about 5 to 45 minutes after every bowel movement. Also, I experience, intermittently, slight pain when I go from a sitting to lying position; but for the most part I’m pain free and feel completely healthy with no symptoms illness. Should I be concerned? I’m a little nervous about going back to the doctor for I fear surgery would be my only option. What do you recommend?
 knila3 - Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:40 pm

This question is pertaining to the previous post. Is there an alternative, non-invasive or minimally invasive diagnosing procedures in which I can be treated for my symptoms without surgery?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:55 pm

User avatar Dear Knila3,

You have to call your doctor immediately for any of these conditions, if left untreated, is potentially lethal.

Resolving of the pain with antibiotics means that most probably there was an element of infection which means that it could have been any of the above mentioned conditions, but i think that this is either appendicitis or Mickel's diverticulitis.

Appendicitis can be easily diagnosed with high resolution ct scans nowadays.

The minimally invasive procedure that can be done is laparoscopic surgery but most probably it is going to be difficult in your case because of previous inflammation of the area with the possibility of having adhesions which are going to make it a little riskier and difficult to maneuver the scope and to deal with emergency should any arise.

Please, call your doctor now to be examined right away.

knila3 - Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:14 pm

Ok, I will call him immediately. Thanks.
 knila3 - Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:12 am

Good morning,
Just thought I would update the post… Since my doctor wasn’t available, I was sent to urgent care… My urine test and ultrasound came back normal. The doctor told me that I am not in immediate danger because my test results are good and my symptoms of abdominal pain has been occurring for at least a month. She suggested that I make an appointment with my PCP and ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist to check for possible IBS or IBD and GYN for a possible cyst or tumor on my ovaries because of the mild aching and sharp pain that occurs on a full bladder (I failed to mention this symptom in my previous post).

Meanwhile, I have an appointment for Jan 26th so now I’m eating and drinking in small portions to minimize my symptoms as much as possible. I will keep you updated on my progress. Take care ;)
 knila3 - Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:19 am

I’ve finally saw a Gastroenterologist and had a colonoscopy done. The results came back normal findings – random. However, some biopsies were taken… won’t know the results until Monday. My question is, if my colonoscopy is normal why were biopsies done?

I must say I’m feeling much better with occasional pain in the center and lower right abdomen. I hope with my continued diet of veggies, fruits and whole grains will cause my symptoms to eventually disappear. Can you suggest additional options and remedies that will eliminate these symptoms? Thanks!

Tasha ;)

|