News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: pain in lower left abdomen

lance71 - Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:52 pm

I started getting pains in my left side just below and to the left of my belly button just after lunch. Now after dinner it is getting worse. Can someone tell me what it might be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:59 pm

User avatar Dear lance71,
I need to know more about the description of this pain.
For example; is it occurring for the first time? Is it associated with constipation, diarrhoea or any other gastrointestinal symptoms? Is it related to the type of food you have taken today (spicy food) or you have been stressed that day?
However, I will give you some clues about the common causes of pain in this site of the abdomen. The descending (lower colon), where food waste passes slowly to be expelled out of the body is a common cause of pain in the left lower part of the abdomen. An infection in the colon can lead to pain that is usually associated with diarrhoea. Constipation and spastic colon are other common causes, other known conditions associated with pain in the same part of the abdomen are diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome. In addition, there are other Non Gastrointestinal disorders that can cause pain in the left lower part of abdomen , however they are not related to food intake.You need to consult your doctor especially if the pain is severe , recurrent or associated with fever, vomiting, diarrhoea.
Good luck,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here