News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: What does it mean to have a small gallblader on a HIDA scan?

shortbunny1980 - Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:43 pm

I had a HIDA scan today and the technition sent me walking to get my gallblader to become larger. He told me that if it was still contracted down there would be no need to give the medication for the second part of the test. I was also told that there was not a lot of my gallblader showing on the test. What does this all mean? I know he is not able to tell me but I am not able to eat or drink with out either vomiting or being in sever pain. I have lost over 15 lbs in a week and a half. I can not take my pain medication because I have small children. This is very rough on me and I am very frustrated with my doctors telling me anything. In fact the doctor that I was refered to sent me for the test before he even had an appointment with me. Do I have reason to be alarmed? What is the next step?

Thank You
Shortbunny1980
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:19 pm

User avatar Hi there --

The scan results could mean one of two things: either you actually do have an unusually small gallbladder, which would mean very little; or, more likely, the gallbladder is partially filled with sludge and stones, so that it doesn't fill and empty completely, which often results in small or no visualization of the gallbladder, something that often perplexes the technician. It would also account for your symptoms, which are certainly consistent with a collection of stuff in there. Your doctor should be getting back to you promptly with the results and what he thinks they mean. While you don't need to be alarmed, you may well feel pretty sick at times and have some considerable pain, until this thing is diagnosed and, if it is gallbladder disease, the troublemaker is removed.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here