Question: Stone in Parotid gland...a little advice?

Elvellon - Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:14 am

A stone (the doctor thinks two) located in my left Parotid gland has been causing me a lot of pain. The pain started a few years ago, and since then my gland has swelled many times. I had an ultrasound and then saw a specialist, who told me that he didn't think it was cancerous, and that I should simply try to flush it out by drinking a lot of citrus drinks like orange or lemon juice. He also said that if it caused me a greater deal of pain in the future it would require surgery. Surely there are some alternatives available? I'm only 19, and the doctor warned me that the surgery could leave me with a nice long scar along my hairline and near my ear, and that the nerves in my left cheek (near my ear) could be damaged; causing permanent numbness.

Any advise on this would be just wonderful - I'm so sick of being in pain.
 maree - Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:15 am

5 months ago i had the operation you are talking about. there is a few great parotid tumor sites on the internet with very supportive forums. There is a wealth of information from docs and patients as well as stats etc. http://www.parotidhope.com and http://www.patientsforum.com
hope this helps
 ajpviau - Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:38 am

Hi there,

I have a lump in my Parotid gland area but it was diagnosed as a deep tissue pimple. I was wondering if you could both tell me what type of pain you felt and what your lumps felt like. Did your lumps have a redness to them or nothing at all, just the lump? I'm not convinced that mine is a pimple and was told the most likley other explination would be a stone in the parotid or parotitis.

Thanks in advnace for your info!

|