News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: can i be a massage therpist and have Hep C?

massage student - Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 am

i am enrolled and half way through going to school to become a massage therpist. i am really scared and bummed to think i may not be able to get city licensing once i graduate. please someone who is a doctor give me some sort of idea if you would pass me. here is word for word what it says on the city Massage Practitioner Application.
"Certificate from a medical doctor stating that the applicant has, within thirty (30) days immediately prior to the filing of the application, been examined and found to be free from any contagious or communicable disease capable of being transmitted to the public or to fellow employees by the type of conduct and interaction with fellow employees and the public involved in the performance of the job of massage technician.
Certificate showing the proof of passing"
please help, what should i do? am i ok to work?
thank you so much for your time!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:28 pm

User avatar Hello --

While it's impossible to know for certain how a given bureaucrat will interpret a regulation, you really should be fine for this work, because hep C can only be transmitted by exchange of blood or bodily fluids or the sharing of needles, etc. None of this is involved in a legitimate massage business. Hopefully this will be interpreted accurately for you and you'll be allowed to go forward with this after all the work you've put into it. You certainly are free, so far as I know, of any condition which could be transmitted in the course of performing work as a massage technician.

I would go forward as planned. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck to you with this, and barring an overzealous or misinformed bureaucrat (and a ruling by such a person should be appealed) you should be fine.

Please follow up with us and let us know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here