Question: Please help, pain on left side

Sillypup5 - Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:34 am

Hi there. First off, I would like to say that I live in a very small town. There are two doctors in town, and we don't have ultrasounds or MRI's or anything like that here. I have been to see my Dr. twice in the past two weeks because of this and can not get any answers.

This pain started in the left side of my back, seeming to be in the bottom couple ribs nearly 3 weeks ago. About a week later, the pain moved around to the bottom couple ribs in my abdomen, and has been steadily getting worse every day. The day it moved into my front was the first time I went to the Dr about it. She did an ECG, Chest x-ray and blood test looking for a blood clot. All 3 tests came back normal. She gave me a prescription for 600mg ibuprofin and Tylonol 3's. The pain killers didn't do anything.

Five days later, the pain was still there, and getting worse not better. So I went back to the Dr. That visit was a waste of time. She came in the room and told me all my tests were normal, and she couldn't think of what it could be. She gave me a prescription for Previcid, incase it was a stomach acid problem. The previcid did not help.

That was 5 days ago. The last 3 days, this pain has been almost unbarable. The doctor told me to just wait it out, as it was probably just a pulled muscle.

Now to describe this pain. Up until 3 days ago, it was a constant pressure...it almost felt like there was a bubble under my ribs, and then it would change to a stabbing pain sometimes. Standing straight, or laying down flat on my back used to make it feel a bit better. For the last 3 days however, it has been a constant pain. Standing and/or laying down no longer helps. While I eat, after I take a couple bites, the pain is horrible. It does not feel like burning, as it would if it were indigestion or something like that. I don't think a pulled muscle would get worse from taking a couple bites of food? It has always gotten worse when I eat. It keeps stabbing for about 30 mins or so after I eat, even if I only take a couple bites.

I don't have a vehicle to go to the city where they may or may not do more tests to try and diagnose this. All I know is if it gets much worse, I'm going to be doubled over on the floor all day. I have a 4 year old son whom I'm a single parent to, so I can't just lay around all day long. Please help me find some answers. Thanks.
Megan
 Sillypup5 - Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:06 pm

Well, I guess you don't have any answers for me either. Thanks anyway :o) It seems like the pain is FINALLY going away. It's been a bit less intense the last day. So hopefully it will go away completely now. It's been a long time. Thank you for the opportunity to post here, eventhough I never got any responses :o) I understand you are busy, so that's ok. Have a great day.
Megan
 lorie - Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:21 pm

i had a pain in my left side for 3 years, doctors told me it was in my mind, but ended up being endometriosis, the pain came and went at first, but then came back so bad i couldn't stand it. your problem- i read about someone with similar symptoms, sounds like an ulcer or colon spasm. worth getting a ride and getting a second opinion. sorry i didn't read about your pain sooner, mabe i could have just been someone who would listen. hope you feel better. Lorie
 anprdp - Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Lorie,

I believe your pain to be related to your gallbladder. It's just a hunch and I am not a doctor, but it sounds very similar to pain I had when I had to have mine removed. Food will irritate the symptoms alot. Push on your abdomen right under or next to your sternum and see if you have pain. That was my number one sign. Like I said I am not a doctor, but I have just about had all parts of my body that were removable removed =) lol and some that I wanted to keep.

Some other signs I had were back pain and feeling like I couldn't breathe, but I have also heard of people having right side shoulder pain as well. Best way to find out is with an ultrasound probably so I would seek the nearest ER. Just because the signs have gone away does not mean they won't come back.

Good Luck
 anprdp - Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:28 pm

Btw Lorie,

I see you don't have a vehicle, but if your in that much pain if it is your gallbladder please don't wait. Gallbladders can require emergency surgery.

|