News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: metallic taste in mouth with yellowish stools

Feramea - Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:47 pm

For the last 2 months I have been having a metallic/bitter taste in my mouth when I eat or about 30 minutes after eating. I have also been having gastro issue where I have had yellowish stools (peanut butter color) that are like soft serve ice cream. They are very mess, smelly, and it feels like I am not finished. I am also gassy and get bloated every time I eat. I am also feeling fatigued and losing a little weight. The doctor did a ultrasound of my gall bladder and she said it was fine. They thought it might be GERD but it does not seem to get better with pepcid.

Do you know what these symptoms could mean?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely

Feramea
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:05 pm

User avatar Hi there --

This sounds very much like celiac disease making a sudden appearance, which yes, can happen at most any age. This is caused by intolerance to gluten in the diet -- mostly found in wheat products, but also occurring in lots of other foods. The metallic taste in the mouth is common to many, many conditions and medications, but often due to GI irritation, which is definitely part and parcel of celiac disease. All the other symptoms fit perfectly too.

There is a blood test to determine if this is the problem and if it is positive the disease is managed, not cured, by dietary changes. This can be a nuisance at first, but there are now many gluten-free alternative versions of common foods so that it's not nearly the burden it used to be. This is assuming my first instinct is correct.

I would definitely bring this to the attention of a gastroenterologist and be tested for celiac disease. If that's what's happening then there is a definite course of action that would have you feeling better in short order.

I hope this helps. Please follow up with us here. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here