News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gagging when i eat too much

Mist - Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:23 am

Sitting down to a meal with me is painful, i am a slow eater because i excessively chew my food otherwise it sets off my gag reflex. The more food i eat in one sitting, the more sensitive my reflex becomes. If i stopped eating when this became too uncomfortable, then i guarentee i would be malnourished, i have to force myself to eat more otherwise within half an hour i am hungry again. I have to eat lots of small meals and drink large amounts of milk (this i am not senstive to) in order to keep a good training weight (i work out 3 days a week). I am 6ft and before i started forcing myself to eat, i was 57kg, thankfully this has improved to 73kg, but i would like to be able to sit down to a normal meal without all this discomfort and gagging. Any ideas why my gag is so stuffed???
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:48 am

User avatar Dear Mist,

A gag reflex occurs when the back of the tongue, back of the pharynx, or soft palate is stimulated. The gag reflex is completely controlled by the brain stem.

Thus a hypersensitive gag can be due to hypersensitivity-allergy or due to an upper motor neuron or central nervous system problems, however in this case other CNS symptoms are present.

What an individual should be aware off, is the change in the nature of his reflexes or his sensitivity.

In children, enlarged adenoids and tonsils are leading causes for hypersensitive gag reflex.

A hypersensitive gag reflex while eating is considered a part of sensory-based feeding problems in which the gag occurs only with solids and not with liquids, or to certain types of food . These individuals are more likely to have intolerance to certain type of foods and GERD.

An oral-sensory treatment program aiming to desensitize and reduce the sensitive gag response to textures is one of the approaches to treat this condition. Sensory intervention therapies are also recommended by some doctors if other measures fail, but other GI problems like reflux should be treated first.

You need to be checked very well by your consultant, to find out if there is an underlying cause and to reach the proper approach.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here