Question: Serious Stomach Problem?

carream1 - Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:02 am

Good Morning,

I am a 21 year male, physiology student, with no previously diagnosed medical problems; I am underweight and somewhat sedentary. Lately, I have been noticing that after I consume pork (with the exception of pork bacon) OR for no reason at all I develop a large amount of gas in my stomach.
Although I can handle gas from time to time, this condition is keeping me awake at night.
The following are symptoms I have experienced with this condition:
-severe gas;
-bloating;
-dyspepsia;
-shortness of breath associated with the recumbent position;
-insomnia.

The irony is, unlike gas in the stomach or intestine common to anyone, this has no pain what so ever.

I have no other symptoms and have tried the following to alleviate the symptoms and discomfort:
-Simethicone tablets (180 mg);
-Antacids of all types
-Guaifenesin to relieve what seems to be chest congestion;
-Gravol (50 mg) to relieve some associated nausea.

I can say though, that my diet does not reflect an optimum one...being a student I drink alot of coffee...and eat foods that are probably not high in any nutrient. My biggest problems include: its keeping me awake at night, and increasing my anxiety and paranoia.

Please comment.

Thank you kindly,
Rob .
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:31 pm

User avatar Dear carream1,
Your complaints are very likely to be due to a condition named as Irritable bowel syndrome IBS. The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance. IBS symptoms include, abdominal and changes in bowel habits like bloating, gas, alternating diarrhea and constipation.
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
If the symptoms are frequent or sever enough to make you feel sick your have to seek medical advise from your physician to receive medication that will alleviate the symptoms and the possible complications.
The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis. These tests include Colonoscopy, Flexible sigmoidoscopy and Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.

The disease can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet and avoiding stress.

|