Question: Does Jello Help With Stomach Aches?

ricpride - Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:15 pm

My family and relatives swear by it. My grandma is sick with the flu and with stomach issues. She is throwing up food that she eats.

I do not believe that it does, since it is liquid sugar. But if there are explanations that it does work for any other reasons or for this reason, in particular, please explain.

So, right now they're filling her up with Jello. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Ric
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu May 14, 2009 10:39 pm

While some home remedies seem to have no rational basis, the main purpose of Jello in stomach illnesses is that it is nutrition that is generally well tolerated and stays down. The gelatin provides some nutrition and the sugar usually doesn't hurt either. It is more a matter of feeling soothed and having something stay on the stomach than it having any curative powers. Just the ability to eat something, especially something that tends to be well tolerated, improves the patient's mood and nutrition and also allows for advancement to a more solid diet.

No need for concern. In fact, it is a useful food for stomach ailments when the usual BRAT (banans, rice, applesauce and toast) diet won't stay down, and may allow the patient to advance to this more quickly.

I hope this answers your question.

|