News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gastric polyps

maiden75 - Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:52 am

About 6 months ago I went to the doctor for stomach pain after eating, my symptoms felt like those of an ulcer. My doctor put me Nexium, which worked for me for awhile, but then after I tried going off the medication (doctor recommended), the pain came back. My doctor ordered an Upper GI, which came back normal. She said that I had a few polyps in my stomach, but she reassured me that they are nothing at all to worry about. She never gave me a solid diagnosis of the pain, and I feel like maybe I should get a second opinion. Is she correct about the polyps? I have read that all polyps should be removed "just in case". Could they tell that they are begnign just by an upper gi? Could they turn into cancer? I am worried! (I am also still having the stomach pain usually after eating)

Please help!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:38 pm

I am assuming that by Upper GI, you are referring to upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

A variety of gastric polyps are usually detected as incidental findings at endoscopy. Some, such as hyperplastic polyps, and fundic cystic gland polyps, are benign and of no consequence. Another variety, adenomatous polyps are rare but have a pre-malignant potential. This type of polyp should be removed endoscopically.

The only way to identify the type of polyp is by histopathological examination of polyp samples removed during endoscopy. I assume that this was done and the gastroenterologist has communicated his findings to your doctor. It is your right to know, so ask your doctor.

You have not indicated if an investigation known as Helicobacter pylori test was conducted for your complaints. This is a basic screening test for dyspepsia, gastritis and peptic ulcer disease.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here