News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Dizziness when having bowel movements

MikeInVA - Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:36 pm

Dear Doctors,

I have been having dizziness when having a bowel movement. This occurs if I strain to push something out. I am not constipated but I do have to push many times to get things out. If I don't strain I don't get dizzy only when I strain. The frequency has increased lately. I don't have dizziness any other time.
Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:50 pm

User avatar Dear,MikeInVA
What you have described can be related to a condition known as Vasovagal syncope. If it is related to certain situations it is named as (situational syncope). These situations include passing urine, coughing, defecation. the mechanism is due to activation of adrenergic tone(sympathetic), followed by vagal(parasympathetic) over activation . a presyncopal phase in the form of epigastric discomfort, dizziness or vertigo, and nausea usually preeced and if the person does not lies down or is a way from the triggering stimulus he can faint.
Iif the frequency is increased as you mentioned, you should arrange to see you doctor soon, as The diagnosis is made mainly by careful history and examination. then he can recommend the required investigations and the proper medications.
Good luck,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here