Question: Chest pains w/ belching and throat itch.

benjimest - Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:33 am

Please help, I'm really confused, scared and worried about what might be wrong with me. I started having an itching feeling in my throat about two weeks ago along with a full feeling in my chest. This started after I was vomiting for a period of 12 hours, the vomiting has stopped but I've had the throat and chest problem since. I've been diagnosed with depression and I am cancerophobic so maybe I am worrying too soon. I also have increased belching, throat pain (only sometimes) and a fast heart beat.
I'm 24 years old, overweight, non-smoker, non-drinker... I'm really scared. People have told me it's IBS or an Allergy. What do you think?

Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:03 pm

User avatar Dear benjimest,

A feeling like fullness and pain in the chest can be due to one of these causes:

In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles causes Chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as a lump or tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing. The condition can be a sequence of sore throat or (viral, bacteria) infection that subsides gradually after recovering from infections or as a motility disorder in the esophagus.

GERD
The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest in the morning. Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath similar to Asthma.

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them.

Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Diagnosis is made by complete history taking, physical examination, investigations like Upper Endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.

Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods. In addition smoking is one of he precipitating factors that should be avoided.

I advise you to be examined by your doctor, by complete history and physical examination, The correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards

|