News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Can you drink aloe vera gel whilst taking immune supressants

helensuzanne - Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:06 pm

I have crohns disease and have found out drinking aloe vera gel is very good for your digestive system. However I take azathioprine which is a immune supressant drug. because aloe vera gel also boosts your immune system I am wondering if I can drink this whilst taking azathioprine as it seems to do the opposite.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 pm

User avatar Hello --

While aloe is an immune enhancer, theoretically at least, it doesn't work in the same way azathioprine, so won't interfere with its action. The aloe may, in fact, have a soothing effect on the mucosa of the GI tract, which, if it works for you, should be fine. It won't interfere with the pharmaceutical immunosuppressants, so should be okay to continue to use.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here