Question: Gallbladder or something else..in pain suggestions?

sunday - Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:14 am

I have been some pretty intense gallbladder attacks, or at least thats what i think. The doctors have suggested sludge acalculous ?? due to no stones on ultrasound. Although, my Hida Scan showed a 52% extraction rate, which i was told was normal. The doctor however still feels its my gallbladder, and has recommened seeing a surgeon if pain and symptoms don't subside. I have monitored my diiet because so many things upset me, and put me in pain that last for hours. I am hesitant to remove gallbladder hoping I can just regulate it with diet improvements. I should also mention that the pain seems to come even when i havent had anything to eat. Actually this past week I havent had moment where I havent felt sore to say the least. I have also lost some weight which is rare for me... before change in dieting. I am 150 and was 160 two months ago. Is there anything else I should consider asking the doctor to do such as other tests or possiblities? I have the right side pain, but is also on left at times as well. My white blood counts have been abnormal also. I am just hoping to avoid surgery if at all possible, but am also worried of putting it off,bc this is so uncomfortable, and I don't know if I could make the situation worse by doing so.

Thanks for your time,
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:29 am

User avatar Hi sunday,
Given the results of the ultrasound suggesting acalculous cholecystitis we are inclined to accept that diagnosis. I think since your last CBC showed an elevated white cell count and that you wish to avoid surgery, that you should try a course of antibiotics for a week and then evaluate the response and the impact it had on your symptoms.

For more info on cholecystitis and it diagnostic methods please review our cholecystitis page.

Maybe we can here what our radiologist has to say about this?
 Dr. R. Kothari - Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 am

Hi Sunday,
Absence of gall sones with gall wall thickening and sludge on sonography is indicative of acalculus cholelcystitis. A course of antibiotics would help resolve the same temporarily.
A HIDA scan performed at an asymptomatic state could be negative.
Sometimes a kidney stone could cause similar pain and a sonography would confirm the same.

rhk

|