News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gallbladder or something else..in pain suggestions?

sunday - Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:14 am

I have been some pretty intense gallbladder attacks, or at least thats what i think. The doctors have suggested sludge acalculous ?? due to no stones on ultrasound. Although, my Hida Scan showed a 52% extraction rate, which i was told was normal. The doctor however still feels its my gallbladder, and has recommened seeing a surgeon if pain and symptoms don't subside. I have monitored my diiet because so many things upset me, and put me in pain that last for hours. I am hesitant to remove gallbladder hoping I can just regulate it with diet improvements. I should also mention that the pain seems to come even when i havent had anything to eat. Actually this past week I havent had moment where I havent felt sore to say the least. I have also lost some weight which is rare for me... before change in dieting. I am 150 and was 160 two months ago. Is there anything else I should consider asking the doctor to do such as other tests or possiblities? I have the right side pain, but is also on left at times as well. My white blood counts have been abnormal also. I am just hoping to avoid surgery if at all possible, but am also worried of putting it off,bc this is so uncomfortable, and I don't know if I could make the situation worse by doing so.

Thanks for your time,
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:29 am

User avatar Hi sunday,
Given the results of the ultrasound suggesting acalculous cholecystitis we are inclined to accept that diagnosis. I think since your last CBC showed an elevated white cell count and that you wish to avoid surgery, that you should try a course of antibiotics for a week and then evaluate the response and the impact it had on your symptoms.

For more info on cholecystitis and it diagnostic methods please review our cholecystitis page.

Maybe we can here what our radiologist has to say about this?
 Dr. R. Kothari - Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 am

Hi Sunday,
Absence of gall sones with gall wall thickening and sludge on sonography is indicative of acalculus cholelcystitis. A course of antibiotics would help resolve the same temporarily.
A HIDA scan performed at an asymptomatic state could be negative.
Sometimes a kidney stone could cause similar pain and a sonography would confirm the same.

rhk

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here