News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: PLEASE CAN SOME ONE HELP ME!! =(

julie nova - Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:36 am

To whom it may concern!
I've noticed that during my bowel movement i have some orange oiliy liquid coming out at 1st i thought is because of some thing i've ate but now its been happening for 3days
last time i had a "normal" bowel movement was 3days ago. Also the very first time i've seen orangy oily liquid my bowel was coming out piece by piece in a big round shape not sure if this important information, i figured that i'll give u as much details as possible. I'm not on any meds. Every one i've asked no one knows what it is. I've tried to find some kind info. on the Internet. no luck there. U R MY LAST AND ONLY HOPE!!!
Please help me.

Thank you,
Julie
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:30 pm

User avatar Hello julie,
Thanks for stopping by The Doctors Lounge!
The discoloration of stools is a very subjective matter and so it would be difficult to interpret over the internet. However, in the broadest sense, stools that are more or less orange in color could results from beta-carotene (a form of vitamin A) or intake of food containing beta carotene (carrots, sweet potatoes etc). One other possiblity is a liver problem.
However, in your description you mentioned something more important than the color and that is the oily substance. This strongly points towards a condition known as steatorrhea (fat in stools). This could be the result of malabsorption which in turn is caused by many diseases.
I would strongly recommend a stool analysis. If fat is found in your stools further investigation is necessary to establish a diagnosis of steatorrhea. A stool exam would also exclude other abnormalities if present.

Please check our steatorrhea/index.htm" class="postlink">steatorrhea page for more info.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here