Question: Daily ritual . . .

hollywould - Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:04 pm

I've read some interesting topics here, and am thankful I found such a place.

Quick synopisis -
EVERY SINGLE TIME I wake up before 9am, I have immediate diarrhea that lasts for about an hour. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! This makes having to work for a living, very difficult. Especially, since it completely drains any energy I might have had, and always leaves my mouth dry as the Vegas desert during mid-July. I have found a job that does not require me to be there before 10 am. Let me repeat, for all the naysayers, EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! This began around the age of 23. I am now 28.

I can eat all of two things . . . McDonalds cheeseburgers, or Lean Cuisine microwave pizzas. I don't know why, but I never have an issue when I eat either of these. Anything else? 9 out of 10 times, and the answer is no. I weigh 130lbs., am 5'11" tall (SKINNY), so when I eat, my stomach immediately balloons up towards my chest. The balloon then makes it's way down, so I can literally watch what is happening (my friends think it is a great trick), and then as it hits my belly button . . . I prepare. The pain is quick and incapacitating. Then the relief comes just as quick, and always in the form of diearrhea. Everything is cool. Then 15-20 minutes later, the same thing happens again. Never a third time. I then become very tired for about 20 minutes, and then am fine . . . until I have to eat again.

I also have quite a weird pain in the back of my neck, just a bit behind my right ear, when I eat large meals. Like, if I'm too full, then my neck will hurt. I don't know. But, I do know that when my neck starts to hurt, I should watch the balloon. Get what I'm saying? I have no blood or mucus in my stool, I don't have any symptoms of depression, no shakes, no fluctuations in temperatures. Just diarrhea when I get up before 9am, diarrhea when I eat, and neck pains that almost always signal the oncoming diarrhea.

Doctors think I'm crazy when I describe my conditions. Xanax has been prescribed on 2 different occassions. They tell me Immodium should do the trick, and just follow the directions on the back of the box. One doctor actually gave me Zantec 75. That's like telling a guy with a bullet-hole in his head to use a bandaid. I just really want to know if anyone else has ever experienced the same thing. Hear any recommendations. Anything!

I appreciate any and all inofrmation, guys and gals.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:18 am

User avatar Dear hollywould,

You probably experience a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.
The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical examination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis. These tests include
Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other cause.

The reason for the pain behind the ear after eating is little pit strange but a possibility of salivary gland stone is to be excluded (parotid gland).

|