Question: Gallbladder/Liver

cma1006 - Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:27 pm

My last two Blood work-ups both indicated that my liver enzymes were elevated.. My doctor called for me to have an abdominal ultrasound. The results showed that my liver looked ok but they found a gallstone about an inch in size and a cyst on my kidney (which she said was not concerning to her). I have to meet with a surgeon on the 9th to see what he wants to do.

My question is this...I have had pitting edema in my ankles for years. I have had several tests done. Extensive heart tests to make sure everything was ok and it is. Could this edema be a cause of the gallstone? The swelling that I have in my feet is very bothersome. I cant wear certain shoes, my feet (especially the one on the right) gets sore on top almost like it was stepped on or something and I have developed dry callused skin where my toes bend from them being swollen....uggghhh.

Just looking for some suggestions to this cause. I am slightly over wieght could this be a cause...tried to lose but the most I have ever lost is like around 10lbs and then it comes back. Very discouraged.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:05 am

User avatar Hi cma1006,
Although there are simple explanations for occasional swelling in different areas of the body, for example, long rides in a vehicle, pregnancy, medications etc., etc. Some systemic causes related to pitting edema are heart failure, renal failure, or liver failure. Do you have any abdominal swelling? If not and considering your liver looked ok on ultrasound liver failure would likely be ruled out as the cause. Have you had any renal function studies done and if so were they normal? In my opinion, I would not relate the gallstones to the pitting edema if there is no abdomial swelling and would be more inclined to look at renal function, and heart function (again) even though it previously checked out normal.
 cma1006 - Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:34 am

thanks for the info.

When I had my blood work in June of 2004 I had white blood cells in my urine and my WBC was low. I don't know what it showed in December as I didnt get a copy of the test results from my new dr. When I had my ultrasound because of the elevated liver enzymes and they found the gallstone they also found a cyst on my kidney. My dr. said she wasnt concerned but should I be because of the other issues I am having? Edema in feet and white blood cells in urine?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:49 am

User avatar Hi cma1006,
A large amount of white blood cells in the urine is usually a classical sign of a bladder infection, but is usually accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, urinary frequency etc. As for the low count of white blood cells in your blood work this could be from any number of reasons from being normal for you (since some people carry a low wbc level without any sign of disease) to a viral infection that could have been present at the time, etc. If she is not concerned about the cyst on the kidney found on the ultrasound then in all likelihood it's appearance indicates a benign (non-cancerous) nature. I would however recommend a discussion between you and her about renal function studies and a referral to a cardiologist for a cardiac evaluation.
 cma1006 - Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:33 am

thank you...I will do that..

|