Question: I have no clue what this is......

smilesx4 - Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:00 pm

I will try to make this as short as possible :wink:

I have had this pain in my upper left side for about 10yrs now. It feels like a side stitch and it comes on at the oddest times. It especially happens while I am driving, but not when I am a passenger. Lately it has been pretty bad and I have even noticed it when I lay on my left side. Tonight it happened while I was standing talking to a friend of mine. It's not intense pain, but you really notice it. The pain is always the same level never less or more. When the pain comes on I try to stretch, but it doesn't help. It then goes away for no reason. I am worried, because I have to take a 2 day road trip and I'm afraid the driving will be too painful to do.

I went to my family doctor about 8 yrs ago to ask him about it. He had me do a few sit ups and said I had really bad stomach muscles. I believe him, I have 4 kids! When I sit up my stomach makes a peak. Anyhow, he said it was probably my muscles and not to worry about it.

I have started a heavy workout plan about 3 weeks ago and it's much more frequent now than usual. But I do still have it even when I am not working out.

Any idea what this is?

thanks for any advice you can give,
tracy
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:28 am

User avatar Dear smilesx4,
I can only give you a list of possible causes. I cannot exclude any causes here. Pain in the area you have described usually relates to a muscular problem as well as problems that originate from the spleen, kidney and colon. Clearly, the latter will need to be excluded clinically. I think you should have someone look at it again. Especially since it seems to be increasing in intensity.
 smilesx4 - Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:39 am

I totally forgot to mention that back when I had this checked out years ago, I did have an upper GI to make sure and everything came back fine. I also have a LOT of gas and when I pass it the pain decreases or goes away. My dad also has problems with excessive gas, but he gets chest pain from his.
My main question is do you think this is something that needs to be check out right away, or can I wait until I get back from our trip?
I don't "feel" like it's something serious, since I have had it for many years. But I am a Hypocondriac (spell?) and the pain is annoying.

thanks so much for everything!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:20 am

User avatar Hi smilesx4,
I am not in a position to decide really. All I can tell you is to seek medical attention at once if things should get worse or new symptoms arise.
 smilesx4 - Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:21 am

I think I know what it is. My doctor gave me these vitamins that have alot of iron in them. He told me it would give me energy. Well, it gave me constipation also. I quit taking them and my pain has gone down quite a bit. Still there but back where it was before. I also noticed that the pain is relieved when I pass gas, which I have always had quite a bit of. I will contact my doctor when we get back from our trip. But I just wanted to thank you for your help.

tracy

|