News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Crohn's disease and pregnancy

Kristen&Mike - Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:01 am

Hello my name is Kristen and my boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for about 6 years now and have been really serious for the last two. We are getting married sometime in the next three years and don’t really know if we want a child yet. At first we both said no, causes we don’t really like kids, but In the last few months I have been wondering and weighing the con’s and pro’s on having a child. If we did have one we would both like a girl I know there are ways of making that almost 100% possible with since, but we will not have a child that has a defect of some sort especially Crohn’s. I have been and will continue to search for information about pregnancy and Crohn’s, but I haven’t found anything yet. My Questions are How likely is It to pass on to out child if we have one? I also know that science today has ways of finding out weather or not a child has a defect or disease and I would like to know can they find that out with Crohn’s disease if that’s so and we would decide to have a child than that would give us a chance to abort the pregnancy. Finally, is there anyway that science can legally help to rid a egg and or sperm of defects and Crohn’s? and if at all possible be somewhat affordable. Thanks Kristen
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:40 pm

User avatar Dea rKristen&Mike,
It is not clear from your message why worry for having a child with any type of defect especially Crohn's disease ?
However, the disease is caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract. Crohn's disease can occur anywhere in the digestive tract. Therapies used in the treatment of this disease can result in long term remission of the symptoms, but not in cure.
The disease is believed to have heredity bases since 20 percent of people suffering from Crohn's disease have a family history (parent, sibling or child) of the same disease. A gene named NOD2/CARD15 was found to be mutated in a good number of people with Crohn's disease and seems to correlate with the course of the disease. People with a brother or sister who has Crohn's disease are at risk 30 times higher than the general population.
for your second question, if there are ways to diagnose the disease prenatal and terminate the pregnancy accordingly, to my knowledge there are some centers that use cloning techniques to localize the predisposing genes, hence aid in the diagnosis but you have to go to the nearest centers for genetic counseling before you decide to get pregnant.
best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here