Question: NG tube and vomiting?

courage - Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:24 pm

I have an NG tube. I have had the stomach flu the past couple days. Is there anyway that my tube can become displaced during this? It hurt bad enough getting it in. I don't want to have it replaced. Also, how long do they last, if you keep them flushed and all that. I have already had mine for 2 months. And like I said I am terrified of having it replaced. I will most likely have it another 2-3 months.
 Kathy C, RN - Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Courage, Your tube you are describing does it enter your stomach thru your nose or thru a surgical incision in your stomach? Usually NG tubes ( the ones that enter your stomach thru your nose) are short term at best but the ones that enter your stomach thru your abd are long term and can be used indefinitly. Both of these can get displaced, pulled out and clogged. It is important to keep them patent by flushing before and after anything you put down them and make sure that anything that is adminidtered thru them is well dissolved. Are you using it for meds and feedings? Are you eating food orally also?
 Kathy C, RN - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi I also wanted to add it is important to assess placement of either of these tubes before using it. if you need to i can instruct you how to so this. Let me know.
 courage - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:03 pm

My tube goes from my nose to my intestines. I use it for feedings only. How do I know if it is is displaced? And how long can I keep it in? As long as I don't get it clogged, can I keep it in?

|