Question: Possible Celiac disease

melaniej - Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:46 pm

Hello...

I am at a loss..I have been sick for over a year and a half and had every test under the sun..Almost all came back with inflammation and my Dr said their has to be one culprit..I have dudenitis, gastirits, esophagitis, malabsorption, colitis, iletis and possible sprue..See that is my question..I believe I have Crohns..I have had a biopsy of the large bowel which was negative, but I have all the problems in my small bowel...My blood work for celiac was all negative except the TTg was 50, my biopsy showed mild villous atrophy with increased lymphcytes consistent with celiac disease..

I sent my biopsy to a Dr in the MAyo CLinic at Rochester and he said he isnt sure I have celiac and he isnt sure I don't? What the heck does that mean? He ordered a gene blood test and a bone density which I am waiting on.. I have been GLuten free since Dec 17th 2004 and still feel miserable..I have changed shampoo, makeup and decontaminated my kitchen and I still feel icky..

Can anyone help me I am so confused....I did have a few beers on Fri night cause I said he if he doesnt think i have it then why should I , it didnt bother me one bit too..
 Dr. R. Kothari - Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:53 am

Hi Melanie,
Villous atrophy is seen both in celiac disease and sprue.
Did you have a barium study of the small bowel ? If so what were the findings ?
Dr Kothari
 melaniej - Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:17 pm

Hi Dr Kothari,

No I have not had a small bowel series they did do a Capsule ENdoscopy and said I had samll bowel angiodysplasia and that was what was causing my problems..My GAstro Dr wont help me anymore because I planned on going to the Mayop CLinic..CAnt this also be seen with Crohns? Thats is what I believe I have...I have had only Endoscopys and a colonoscopy so I don't know what to do next..I really don't want to travel 300 miles when they can do it all up here, but one Doc sayd sprue and the Specialist at the MAyo isnt sure? Any more insight....Thanks so much for the reply too..I am kinda at a loss, we have no stomach problems in our family so I just think IBS or somehting as simple as that..
 melaniej - Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:25 pm

Hi Dr Kothari,

Actually I did have an upper Gi and it revealed Duodenitis and when they did my forst Endo they found Chronic Gastritis wih bleeding anb Doudenotis with bleeding, I thought you meant the barium enema..SO yes that was the forst test they did on me..

What do you think that means if anything??

|