News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sharp pain just to the right of naval

ricky - Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:05 pm

Hello,
I am a healthy 41 year old male, I don't smoke and drink in moderation. The past couple of days I have had a on and off again sharp stabbing pain just to the right of my naval. I first I was concerned but as the day goes on it is just barely noticeable. Today it has been quite a bit more noticeable. When I press on the area of pain it is very sore and unbearable to press upon. It doesn't seem to be in the area where one would have appendicitis. I have also not felt myself today with a general feeling of malaise and fatigue, as if I were coming down with something but nothing ever quite develops. Also my stools have been loose and quite foul smelling, but the pain does not go away or change in intensity afterwards. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr. R. Kothari - Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:39 am

Hi Ricky
Pain in the right side of the naval could be due to gastroenteritis, especially since you have loose/foul smelling stools.
Appendicitis and gall stones could cause similar pain especially since that area is tender to touch. ( a retrocecal appendix can cause pain in that area).
Simple blood tests and an ultrasound of the abdomen would help resolve the same.
Dr KOTHARI

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here