Question: Gastrointestinal illness just won't go away!

AvalancheGirl - Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:05 am

Let me start by saying I am a 21 year old female living in Canada, previously healthy with no known issues.

I was travelling in Europe this summer, and about 48 hours into the trip I started vomitting. I proceeded to be sick for the rest of the trip (7 more days) with awful awful nausea and vomitting, as well as diarrhea. I visited the hospital there and was given a shot of metclopramide, which did help relieve the nausea, and then a prescription for Cerucal (also metclopramide) pills to control the nausea. They did not help very much, and I was barely able to eat the entire 7 days. I was also restless and anxious and suffered from insomia, but this may have been from the Cerucal, as it lists restlessness and anxiety as side effects.

When I arrived back in Canada, I felt much better for about a week and a half, although my appetite never fully came back, but I was not nauseous and no vomitting or diarrhea. A week and a half after being back, one day at work my cheeks got really flushed and I felt really hot and couldn't cool off. When I got home from work I vomitted several times but my temperature was only 37.2 (celsius). At first I thought it was heat exhaustion, because I had that last summer and had to be rehydrated with IV fluids. But when the symptoms persisted for several days, I started to think maybe it was a relapse of what I had in Europe. It has now been 11 days of this. I have experienced a lot of nausea, particularily strong nausea in the mornings and evenings, I have no appetite at all even when I am not nauseous. I haven't been eating much so bowel movements have been limited, but when I do have them they are very soft but not liquid, and no blood or mucous. I have had a low grade fever (never higher than 37.4) off and on, sometimes no fever at all. I saw a Physician when I had been sick for 3 days (my regular GP is on vacation), and he said it seemed like a virus and to wait it out. I started to improve to the point where physically and mentally I felt great, but still had the nausea and no appetite. I went several days without vomitting, but the nausea never went away. After exactly one week, I went downhill again so I went to outpatients at the hospital where they took blood, urine, and faecal samples. The urine came back fine, and the basic bloodwork also came back clean. They also tested for Hep A and Hep B, but those results have not come back yet, and the results of the faecal haven't come back yet. After I got home from the hospital that night I vomitted 4 or 5 times and could not even keep water down. The next morning I vomitted several more times, still couldn't keep water down, so we went back to the hospital. They gave me a litre and a half of IV fluids, and gravol by IV. They also had to give me lorazepam, because I was so upset I could not stop shaking. I felt a lot better after that so they let me go that day (this Wednesday just past). Since then I have not vomitted but the nausea persists. I have been taking gravol around the clock to help me keep food down, but if I let the gravol wear off, the nausea returns. The gravol makes me tired and groggy. How I feel other than the nausea varies, at times I feel exhausted and sick, but other times I feel great, like I could run a marathon (except I would probably throw up!). Last night I felt horrible, my cheeks got really red and flushed, and tingly, and I felt really hot, but my temperature was only 37.3

This morning I had some major diarrhea, as I was finally able to eat a substanstial amount of food yesterday.

All together I have been sick pretty much the entire month of July, and have missed a LOT of work. I am getting to the end of my rope here and am starting to wonder if this will ever end. It was 7 days with the first bout of this, and now it has been 11 consecutive days of this! The doctors don't seem to have any idea what it is, they have not made any suggestions as to what it could be. It is frustrating because right now I feel fine (I did take Gravol this morning) but I have no appetite at all, no desire to eat.

Any ideas, suggestions, theories, similar experiences, ANYTHING would be welcome!

Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:55 am

User avatar Hello,The history of travel and the clinical features are of giardiasis caused by giardia lamblia a protozoa.A repeat stool examination is necessary.If so a single dose of tinidazole is good enough.

|