News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: SMA, back surgery, chronic constipation

sarahpc - Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi,
I am a 17 year old girl with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) diagnosed at 9 months old and ever since my back surgery (regarding my scoliosis) I have been dealing with chronic constipation. I never used to get constipated, but now I get constipated very often. Is there a reason why I’m always constipated now? Could it be because of my back surgery?
I’m usually constipated for 3-4 days at a time, and I find it very hard to urinate when I’m constipated. I usually end up taking laxatives because I can’t bare the pain and uncomfortableness anymore. Even when I’m not constipated, my abdomen is always very swollen (especially on the left side) and hard. I was wondering if I can do anything to help my constipation other than eating lots of fruits and vegetables. Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:52 am

User avatar Hello sarahpc,
From your description i tend to believe that you have a chronically 'loaded' sigmoid colon.At this point, if you start consuming too many laxatives on a regular basis there is a likelihood of ending up with what is known as a 'cathartic colon'.

I would venture to suggest the following strategy...
You will perhaps need periodic DRE (digital rectal examination) to look for a loaded rectum (which i suspect you may be already having) and digital evacuation of this should be done.
Following this you should continue with the general measures such as high fiber diet,lots of oral liquids etc.
Periodic DRE and digital evacuation may be done as per your doctor's discretion.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here