News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: rntdj

jaime4297 - Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:31 am

I saw your response you sent me, I have a few questions... One this tyroid thing this popping is in the upper side of my neck right next to my adams apple. I had an barrow swallow done yesterday if there was anything really serious there would they see it on that test.
Thank you for your input
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:49 pm

User avatar Hi jaime4297,
Let me try to better explain. A barium swallow is an excellent test that evaluates people when they have swallowing problems caused from a narrowing of the esophagus, a growth such as a tumor, a weakening in the area were it meets the stomach, etc.This test views more of sort of muscular and tissue formations and abnormalities. Bony structures or cartilage, like the thyroid cartilage, this test would not visualize. A CT scan visualizes these structures. If there is any asymmetry (not in alignment) of any structure, even a mild abnormality, you should have your answer with this test. As for the barium swallow if there was an abnormality evident I'm sure you would already be aware of such. I hope this was somewhat helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 jaime4297 - Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:01 pm

i really would like to thank you and say i am sorry for being such a pain. i am a 27 year old femaie i have a 7 year old little girl whois my whole world, i basically raise her by myself and i worry about the day something happens to me, what will happen to her? i also care for my ill grandmother who has cancer of her kidney as well as a GI PEG tube due to aspirated phneumnia so swallowing problems hit me close to the heart. and scare me to death.
i fear cancer to the worst degree. and anytime something happens it is the first thing that pops into my mind. I am really sorry to bother you. I have not heard anything from the swallow study yet. hopefully today or tomorrow.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here