Question: pain in left side of stomach

ncboy - Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:10 pm

For about 3 days now, I have been having a pain in the left side of my stomach. It seems to be slowly getting a little more painful. It hurts when I walk or even just stand. Some sitting positions cause it to hurt as well. Sitting and lying down are the most comfortable, however I walk around a lot on my job. The pain isnt severe. Mostly very uncomfortable. I would rate the pain at about a 3-6. It seems like I have felt this pain before but it only lasted for maybe a day. At that time, I thought maybe it was some gas buildup or something like that. I have tried Tums and some iburprofen but neither offer any relief. I am trying to figure out if it could a muscle or if there is an organ on the left side about in the middle of the abdominal area. I don't go to the doctor much and I don't have insurance til next month. I don't feel like it is serious enough for me to go but I don't know. I have had kidney stones in 2000, liver problems in 2001 (never diagnosed, but treated for hepatitis, even though I tested negative for it) and otherwise but pretty healthy. I did a little drinking in the army back in 1995 but none since then. I am a non-smoker. My mom has diabetes and tyroid disease. Also she has irretable bowel syndrome (?). Anyone think I need to be concerned with this pain. I can suck it up and keep going if it will go away.

Thanks,
 Kathy C, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:02 pm

Hi NC,
Sorry to hear about your pain, I know how stressful it is waiting for insurance to kick in. Perhaps you could answer a few questions? Are you moving your bowels regularly and if so what consistency are they? Also when you touch this area is it painful?
Any nausea? And last but not least do you remember doing something that could have pulled a muscle?
 ncboy - Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 am

I didnt have a bowel movement yesterday, which is unusual for me I guess. But I didnt think anything of it til you asked. But otherwise, prior to that, everything has been normal and regular. I have been a little more gassy than normal over the past couple of days. I have not been nauseas. It does not hurt to touch the area, in fact, I find myself pushing on the area in hopes of alleviating the discomfort. I have not done anything to pull a muscle but I have had a cough for about two weeks now. It doesnt feel like a pulled muscle but it could be I guess. I looked at a diagram of a males body and didnt see anything located in this area other than my stomach is in that area I think. Anyway, what do you think.
 ncboy - Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:28 am

Bowel movements are fine. There is really no other side effect other than the dull, constant pain.

|