Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Sobriety patterns changed drastically? Organ failure?

rawhyde4950 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:01 am

First off I don't know if this is the proper category for this question....sorry if it isn't.

Ok, I'm 26 years of age never touched alcohol until I was at the age of 23 , I'm in no way an alcoholic , I drink only on the weekend and now down to only one day a week. I go out with my friends we have drinks we all usually get "drunk"...now here's my question...

When I first started drinking it effected me almost not at all, if always be clear headed when drinking .... I could drink all night if I wanted to and it would almost never effect me ...unless I drank stupidly and just blacked out when I've never done...

Well about a year ago I was drinking as usual the night was fine I came home when to bed and it seemed like something drastically switched inside of me .... Not like a hangover feeling like something else was wrong... From that day on , when I drink it effects me a lot... I get drunk much quicker ... I always feel bad the next day when before I felt no hangover effects ....and it seems like it's getting worse and worse everytime i drink ...even though the amount of times I drink monthly has reduced drastically. I drank last night for the first time in I'd say 3 weeks but it felt progressively worse than the last time I had drank. Could there be maybe a kidney or liver failure? Of does this just happen to everyone after they have been drinking for a while?

Thanks,
K
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:33 am

Studies have shown that there are possible genetic differences between races, families and individuals in their response to the effects of alcohol.
Even in mice, relation between activity of the brain mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) and consumption of ethanol has been extensively studied and being studied ('drinker' and 'nondrinker' animals!).
For example, some studies have observed that about 70-80% of the orientals have aversion to alcohol (development of severe flushing attacks) whereas, only 0-20% of occidentals seem to have aversion.
I am not suggesting that you may have genetic aversion to alcohol....but, in the absence of any other tangible explanation, one has to necessarily look for other alternative explanations!
It may be worth ascertaining that the liver & renal functions are indeed OK.

|