News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Intermittent but severe abdominal pain

eightofus4him - Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:36 pm

A year and half ago I began to have severe abdominal pain, up by my belly button, and very sharp, but only on the 2nd day of my period, so we thought it was gynocological in nature. My OB/GYN thought it might just be extreme pain, dismennoria?. But, since, it has begun to happen more intermittently and not just during my cycle. It is sharp, very sharp, very strong, but short lived, maybe 3-5 minutes at a time. Today it happened probably ten different times. Every time I ate something really and then some. Some times I go weeks without feeling it, then it seems to be on a roll and happen a number of days in a row. It is a pain that can't be ignored, sometimes it sends me to my knees, other times I can lay down. When it first began I could always get on my back and it stopped. It still occurs during my cycle worse, but also at the other times. I was wondering if something could be affecting my digestion that is worsened at the time of my cycle.

I am 38, I am not over wieght, 110 lbs., I eat healthy as I'm pretty health conscious and walk 3 miles five days a week. I have 7 children, all pretty uneventful, the last was born 15 months ago. I am hypothyroid, but as I said, not overwieght. I take 60 mg Armour thyroid each day. We are an active healthy family, so no bad habits to consider that affect my health.

Any ideas? I've made an apointment for Wednesday, day after tomorrow, because I just can't deal with the sharp pain anymore.

Thanks so much!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 pm

User avatar Dear eightofus4him,
Dysmenorrhea is painful menstrual cramps. Primary dysmenorrhea is the pain that accompanies menestruation only. Secondary dysmenorrheal is due to very Strong uterine contractions secondary to underlying disorder.
These conditions can be differentiated by the type and the course of the pain. In primary dysmenorrhea pain begins with the onset of the menstruation and subside there after in few days. In secondary dysmenorrhea, the pain can start before and last after the menstruation period.Causes of secondary dysmenorrhea include, Endometriosis (ectopic endometrial tissue), fibroid, IUD and pelvic infections.
I advise to to consult your physician soon and start investigating the cause of this dysmenorrhea.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here