Question: Recurrent canker sores and intense, short lived stomach pain

tmt731 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I've been battling short term stomach pain for quite some time now and am basically very exhausted of seeing doctor after doctor and being told that nothing is wrong. Below I will list all the symptoms and will elaborate on the ones that need it.

Chronic Canker Sores - I have had 14 at one point and have changed toothpastes, added vitamins and have been on steroids for them
2 Stomach Ulcers
Sharp pain that lasts about 5-10 minutes on the left of my belly button and about 1 inch down - only comfortable to keel over, sometimes makes me scream
Mononucleosis - 1.5 years ago
Recurrent tonsillitis (every other week) until I had my tonsils out 1 year ago
Colonoscopy that showed nothing but 'chronic mild inflammation' in my right colon -ileum - biopsy showed no Crohn's or Colitis
Diarrhea
Hemorrhoids - Bloody stools (can be a lot of blood or a little bit - will be on toilet paper and in stool)
Recently have had intense headaches
Small hiatial hernia

Basically, my stomach pain started about 3-4 years ago. After I got Mono, my immune system basically tanked and my body was just killed with Canker Sores, Tonsillitis, diarrhea, food sensitivity, etc. I am beginning to worry as it has been a while and my doctors aren't too insistent on finding why this is happening. Oh also, my stats...

19 yr old Female
5'11"
140 lbs. - I have dropped 15 pounds in a month without trying and 2 pounds in a week, again, without trying

Please let me know if this is something I should keep pushing or give up on and if I should push it.. what direction should I go in? Please help, I'm in desperate need for answers.

Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:24 pm

As you perhaps already know, firstly one has to determine that these ulcers are indeed apthous ulcers. They are always confined to the oral mucosa and not found outside of the lips or the exterior skin that surrounds the lips(in contrast to the 'herpetic ulcers').Of interest(not necessarily related to your problem) are some reports of herpetic peptic ulcers(in the stomach) in patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

The second consideration is their size.If they are less than 10mm, they are designated as 'minor' and if >10mm, then, one may call them 'major' sores. I am not certain your sores belong to which type.

If indeed you have only 'minor' sores, then you need not unduly worry(stress may aggravate your aphthous ulcers and predispose you to peptic ulcers and so on.
If they are 'major' sores,further investigations are usually necessary.

|