News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Anal Fissures

BrittanyAnn85 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:36 pm

I've been experiencing blood in my stools for quite some time now. I've been to the doctor and she has prescribed me with suppositories which seem to work for the time that i'm taking them and up until 4 or 5 days after i've finished taking them. After that 4 or 5 days it comes back again. I'm not constipated my stools are nice and soft so I have no problem passing them. Where do I go from here? I don't wanna spend another 20 dollars at the doctor just to have her prescribe me a suppository. I am pretty sure it's an anal fissure because i can feel slight pain when passing and a bit afterwards on the outside. Can anyone help me as to what I can do?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 am

User avatar Hi,
Typically, hemorrhoids present with painless bleeding. Acute Anal fissures on the other hand,generally present with severe pain during defecation.Chronic anal fissures present with milder pain or streaks of blood on the stool.
It is better that you consult a surgeon who will be able to diagnose what you have and treat accordingly.
Some general advice for both these conditions:
High fibre diet
Drink plenty of liquids
Regular bowel habit.

Good wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here